Monday, March 9, 2009

Fastastic Husband


So, can I just say how grateful I am for Kyle? I'm grateful for his "handyman" talents, his love and support, and his love and obvious enjoyment when taking care of Becca. Here are a few stories of my fabulous man:

Our Durango has had squeaky breaks for a few months, and we were thinking we'd need to replace both the break pads as well as the rotors. That would have cost a pretty penny, but not as much as it could, since Kyle would have purchased the parts and done all the labor himself, so I was already feeling grateful. Then, after purchasing a good jack so he could really look at the parts, he discovered the we most likely would not have to replace anything. He called his friend Nathan, who is a car technician, and with Nathan's help they did some tricky things to stop the breaks from squeaking and give us a while longer on the current parts. Now Kyle is fixing the problem with cold air coming into the Honda. He enjoys working on cars, and I know that my family uses him as a reference often for car troubles as well. I'm sure he's saved us several hundred dollars by doing the labor on various repairs himself.

In addition to his car skills, he is a great bargain shopper. There are a couple of roles in which Kyle and I are reversed. For example, he is more of a shopper (for manly things, of course) and he is the chocoholic in the family. This enjoyment of shopping means that Kyle loves to find good deals. He has various household projects he is thinking about, so he looks for deals on items that will help with future projects. UVU recently had a surplus sale and he found many deals, including a sink and a toilet to put in the basement when we finish it for $2 each. He also found the long strip lights to put in the garage, which was very poorly lit previously. He got a pack of 16 for $1, when normally they would be $30 ish. I was impressed.

Kyle is my handyman around the house. I'm not sure there is a project he won't attempt on his own. He has replaced the food disposal, the faucet, changed the cover on the swamp cooler, revamped the sprinkler system in the backyard, and replaced the water heater. He's done much more than this, but these are the semi-recent things. Of course, he gets his friends to help on big projects, for which I am so grateful. I love that when he says he will fix something, I know he really will find a way to fix it. I'm occasionally reminded, that when some men "fix" something, it ends up worse for the fix. I'm thinking of Tim Allen, from "Home Improvement" though I know there are real life examples. My dad is also a handyman, and it is because of him that I wanted to marry my own handyman. I was always amazed at the things my dad did, especially the gorgeous bookshelf he built. Kyle is very similar. He wants to learn anything and everything, and is always willing to learn if someone will teach him, or if he can read about it in an instruction manual.

Most recent on my list of why Kyle is absolutely great is that he has started waking up more with Becca at night. It is so nice, since I get up early to go to work. On difficult nights, like the last few nights, we sort of tag team, but Kyle has been taking the first pass, allowing me to sleep just a bit longer. I appreciate the thought and the gesture, even if it doesn't work completely. He is also a big help with Becca during the day. He watches her in the mornings while I am at work and he plays with her all the time. He enjoys feeding her cereal, and was excited to start feeding her veggies. He can make her laugh anytime, it seems. The people in our ward have loved to watch him with Becca from the day she was born. I know he and Becca will have a special bond and I'm so grateful he is such a good dad.

He also enjoys taking care of me. He's so good about encouraging me to take naps, or being positive if I tell him I slacked off and took a nap. He supports my watching chick flicks most of the time, as long as he doesn't have to watch them, and sometimes when we watch movies he'll suggest one of my movies he doesn't hate. He does this because he knows I'll enjoy it. He enjoys making his special dinners for me, and he is so good at preparing the trout that he catches, that I even eat it (I've never been a big fish eater). We're coming up on our 4 year anniversary, and I am so grateful I made the choice to marry Kyle. He's an amazing man.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Hooray for another anniversary. I'm glad you are still happily married and that Kyle is such a great hubby and dad. :) I didn't know he was so handy though. That's really cool.

Anonymous said...

hahaha! I just posted a "husband" blog post too!!!
(arn't they the best?)
btw, that is a FANTASTIC picture of kyle! :-D

Becca

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Paul

Lilypie First Birthday tickers