They say most women go past their due dates for their first pregnancy. Though I was hoping to be, I am no exception. Baby Becca's due date was yesterday, so we're officially in overtime. I am trying to give her the benefit of the doubt by deciding she may simply be practicing Mormon Standard Time. Just for fun, I decided to calculate her arrival based on Mormon Standard Time. I had to make a few assumptions, however. I decided that Mormon Standard Time is about 15 minutes late. I assumed that this was in a 24 hour period so that I could convert it to a percentage. There are 1440 minutes in a day, and so 15 minutes of the day is roughly 1.04% of the day. I then multiplied this percentage by the number of days in a typical pregnancy (40 weeks * 7 days per week) and received 2.92 days. Therefore, Becca can be just under 3 days late and still be in accordance with Mormon Standard Time. For those who contend that you can be 20 minutes late and still be on MST, she has 3.89 days. I prefer to have a more timely baby, but as we can see, we can still give her the benefit of the doubt and decide she is simply trying to fit in. I know the reasoning is not very sound, but that's okay; it made me laugh to figure it all out.
Yesterday, as I was deciding the baby was not going to be born on her due date, I came up with a list of reasons it is okay to still be pregnant:
1. I am most likely more comfortable now than I will be while I recover after giving birth
2. I am able to finish tasks at work that will help me leave with a clear conscience
3. I get to spend almost all day in air conditioning (work has it, home does not)
4. I still have an excuse to have a large belly
5. I may be getting more sleep now than I will after I have the baby
There are more, but these were the first that came to mind. I am still trying to have a positive attitude, and really, I've had a mild pregnancy and so I have not been very inconvenienced by it all. Worst case scenario is that I'll be induced on Thursday, August 21. That is now less than a week away. The time will eventually come when Kyle and I will be parents. In the meantime, we get to practice patience: a virtue many parents need, but often have a hard time finding. We'll pretend it's good for us.


7 comments:
well im so with you and know how unbearable it can be. great job looking at the positives! it will just make it that much more worth it when becca does decide to make her grand entrance. every day erik comes home from work, i ask "did kyle call? did jill have the baby?" so we are thinking of you and wish you the BEST!
Jill, hey it's your cousin Savannah. I've been checking up on your blog every so often to see if you'd had your baby yet. Sorry I don't mean to rub it in. But the good news is: The baby can't stay in there forever. lol. I know, encouraging, right? I tried to follow those calculations you made about mormon standard time and I couldn't follow it, no matter how hard I tried. haha. You crack me up. That's awesome that you guys were able to put sprinklers and a lawn in! I am jealous! I am also jealous that you get to have your baby like any day now. I am still at least 10 weeks away before I am even close! But congratulations to you and Kyle on baby Becca. She is going to be so beautiful. Alright, well I love you cous.!! You better post pictures of her when you can!
Glad you have a good attitude, since all babies come in their own time. But here's a hint: about the time I decided my pregnancy with Emily was a terminal condition, I started some new craft projects. She came the next day, and I'll be darned if I know what ever became of those projects :)
I heard the induction is tomorrow morning! Yay. Can't wait to see pics of Baby Becca. I bet she's gonna be cute. :) Keep me posted on a blessing date. I really do want to see her when she's still a newbie. Maybe Natalie and I can drive down together one day and visit. Hope you're feeling good. This is the last night of life as you know it. ;)
She has to be here by now, right? Kyle called and asked us to watch the dogs so obviously she is on her way in. Congratulations! We can't wait to see her and hope all goes well.
So I'm assuming baby Becca was born. Did you end up getting induced yesterday or did she come on her own? Well Either way, CONGRATULATIONS!! :) I can't wait to meet her!
Hey I heard the good news! Congrats a baby girl, nice and healthy! Can't wait to meet her. :) Baby post soon!
Post a Comment