Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Disneyland Can Prepare You for Life

I've never been a fan of snow. I know, I'm crazy, but that is just how life is. So, why on earth am I living in Utah? Because I came for school, stayed for a job, and will probably be here for a while. That means quite a few more seasons with snow, but I manage to cope every year. Snow does have it's good points: It looks very pretty when it first falls, and I love how it looks on the trees, especially evergreens. Snow also creates the perfect hot chocolate, popcorn & a movie excuse. My absolute least favorite part of snow is driving/walking through it. Yesterday was the first day that it snowed while I was driving to work. I was okay going slow on the freeway, feeling like I never got past 3rd gear, but better safe than sorry. On the way home from work however, the snow was icky mucky slush mixed with snow. Quite a bit of snow had fallen while I was working, and I could feel the Honda sliding in the slush. This is where the skills I developed at Disneyland helped.

In contrast to snow, I absolutely love Disneyland; the atmosphere, the excitement I can't help but feel the day before I go. At Disneyland, there is a car ride called Autopia. Just in case someone has not been on it, it is a ride where the kids get to drive along a track. The kid has control over how fast the car goes (to an extent) and can even weave a bit on some parts. To keep kids on the track, there is a thin metal guide that is under the car. As I got older, I practiced driving in such a way that I couldn't feel the car realign to the metal guide. It took practice, since the car had to be completely centered at some points where the guide was wider. Anyway, it's possible that some will only be confused by my explanation, but this practice helped while driving home yesterday. I decided that the best strategy for not slipping and sliding was to follow in the tracks of another car, preferably a truck since the trucks made deeper tracks. As long as I kept the slush and snow going under the middle of my car, like the metal guide, I had great traction. I really felt like I was driving an Autopia car in really cold weather. Fortunately, unlike the Autopia cars, my car was covered and had a heater. So there you go . . . Disneyland does have real life application.


I've attached a picture for kicks and giggles. I thought Becca's eyes looked amazingly blue.









3 comments:

Shannon said...

I do the same Autopia tecnique when I drive in snow. That is funny though I hadn't thought of it that way. Glad you made it safely. Becca is looking so beautiful!

joyous said...

Have fun with that snow, as I told Shannon, I'm glad we got out when we did: The Henshaws are kinda wimpy when it comes to snow and cold.

Becca is just as cute as ever. What a little doll.

Brooke Monk said...

I love the snow at first, but usually after Christmas I'm done. However, here in Idaho the snow doesn't go away until April or May! So, winter is often a very long season for me. But I agree-it can be very beautiful! Becca is getting so big! You need to put up more pictures of that little one...I'd love to see them!
p.s. have you ever noticed how random the verification words are when you leave a comment? I just had to type in "coingles". Weird.

Becca

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Paul

Lilypie First Birthday tickers