Tuesday, May 5, 2009

You know you're a mom when . . .

Panic. Anxiety. Frustration. Constant thought: I have to get my baby. If I had any lingering doubts about whether I had fully entered motherhood, they're gone. I'm here. Forever.

That's pretty much how Becca's first day of daycare was for me. Kyle got a new job that is full-time. While this is great financially, it also means a temporary end of a blissful watching-Becca-at-home era. I initially thought I would be able to rearrange my work schedule in such a way that I could still spend a day or two at home with her; however, recent HR concerns regarding people working from home prevented this. Additionally, the daycare we decided on could only take Becca full-time, so I guess it worked out. To try to make the transition easier on Becca (and on us) we spent 45 minutes to 1 hour hanging out with her at the daycare, trying to get her used to the surroundings. She was fine. She found a toy or two she liked, and she seemed to enjoy watching the other kids. She didn't even fuss when the daycare lady starting holding her, rather than Kyle or me. She didn't cry when another child started crying/screaming after his mom left. She didn't even cry when the lady holding her walked to the other side of the room from me and Kyle. She didn't cry until Kyle and I were getting ready to leave, I with my purse on my shoulder, and Kyle with the keys in his hand. That's when it started. Still, I'd prepared myself for a tearful separation. I tried not to draw it out. I said goodbye and walked out the door. Unfortunately, we had to stop up front to finish a few things for her enrollment, and I could hear her crying. Still, I pushed on. I walked out of the building, feeling a slight burning behind my eyes as I thought about leaving my baby all day. I pushed the feeling back. The day passed surprisingly quickly, and though I thought about her a lot, I tried not to focus too much on how long I was leaving Becca. I was quite proud of myself; until I was finished with work. It was silly, and in hindsight, not worth it, but due to a need to run some errands, Kyle and I decided to trade cars so I could use the more gas efficient car to get Becca, then pick Kyle up and complete the errands. Never again will I do that. Not only did I have to fight traffic to get to Kyle, but I had to fight traffic to get to Becca. I never understood the Utah trend of tailgating until yesterday: maybe they are all mothers trying to get their babies from daycare. Okay, so I know that's not true, and I didn't tailgate, but if I thought it would have gotten me to Becca any sooner, I maybe would have tried it. I had to remind myself to breathe and to remember that she was fine (I'd called only once during the day . . . I'd found that she was fine, until a new person, such as the one taking the phone in to the caretakers, entered the room, and then she'd cry). I could barely contain my anxiety. I didn't listen to the radio because it only made me more agitated. I gripped the steering wheel to try to keep myself together. After what perhaps felt like the longest drive home in my life (it took 45 minutes), I finally got my baby. She didn't even cry when she saw me. She smiled a little, seeming a bit in a daze (I found out later she'd missed her naps completely) and lifted her arms to me. I must admit, I was shaking a little from being so tense on the drive home, and because I'd kind of lost my appetite and hadn't eaten much, but I was so relieved to have her again, safe in my arms. I managed to get her outside and to the car before I sat down. It was a very tough day, but it was the first. Now on to the rest, which I'm sure will be a bit less worrisome, as long as I don't have to trade cars again.

The best part was when Kyle called to see where I was and I had just picked up Becca. I told him I had just had the most anxiety-filled drive I could remember. He was baffled. Why? Moms and Dads must be hard-wired differently. Either that, or I'm just plain odd.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

That must have been so hard! I'm still available to watch her if the daycare becomes too much for you (though I am due in July which would complicate things for a while)
I'm sure it will get better quickly!

Shannon said...

Leaving your kid all day is definitely tough. You're so very lucky that you and Kyle were able to keep her home as long as you did though. I honestly think that she will be just fine, now hopefully you will be too. Congrats on Kyle's new job. That is good news. Eventually, when you are a stay at home mom, you will wish you could just drop your kid(s) at daycare and go do some "productive" work. Or maybe that's just me. :) Anyway, enjoy the time you do spend with Becca and try not to stress too much while you're gone. I think your emotions are completely normal (whatever that means).

The Blair Family said...

Jill, I can totally relate. I decided to finish the school year which meant that I had to go back to work and leave Ryan with a babysitter for 6 weeks. There were a few breakdowns and tears, but were getting through it. It's tough I know! Good luck with it. I'm sure it's a great place and that she'll be safe.

The Curnow Family said...

That would be hard, after working at a daycare that was so schedule, clean, and truly loved kids, I realized if you find the right one your kids are really happy and have a good time, and aren't hurt by you leaving, She'll make friends and enjoy seeing those friends. It will be a good socialization opportunity for her definately!! And yay to kyles new job! That's always exciting!

Katie and Bryson said...

Shannon, I second your thoughts about having daycare now that I am at home!!!! But I know where you're at too Jillian...we took Ella to daycare while we were figuring out jobs for Bryson and those were busy and crazy days. I hope that Kyle's new job works out for him. It gets easier the older your kids get too.

Becca

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Paul

Lilypie First Birthday tickers