So, October 2010 was a fun month. I celebrated a birthday. Kyle made me the traditional birthday breakfast of waffles with strawberries and whipped cream, served with sausage links and hash browns. He was so cute about it too: I tried to help stir something and he told me to get out of the kitchen because it was my birthday breakfast and he was making it! It was really delicious too.
In addition to my birthday, I found a few new blogs to follow. One, Babes in Hairland, shows all kinds of hair style for girls. Becca's hair is too short for most, but one of the posts reminded me of the topsy-tail hairstyle. Because I style Becca's hair in the morning and don't see her again until the evening (after playing all day and after she's taken a nap) I was getting used to her hair not looking at all the same when I pick her up from daycare. Plus, her hair was getting long enough that the fire cracker pig tails looked kind of funny. Enter topsy-tail pigtails. I LOVE it! Kyle's getting tired of the style, but I keep doing it because it is the only style that stays close to the same throughout the day.
Of course, we had Halloween in October. We all pitched in with the pumpkin carving. Becca and I scraped the insides out. I'm not sure how much she loved it, but she did it. We saved the pumpkin seeds and toasted them in the oven. Oh my goodness, it was delicious.
I decided to have Becca be Tinkerbell this year. I wanted to try my hand at making her costume. I found a t-shirt at the dollar store and made it into a peasant top . It was too wide, so I played with it a bit (or a lot!) and I was reasonably pleased with the outcome. I made the tulle tutu. It was a no-sew project, aside from sewing the elastic together at the end. I attached each piece of tulle during a lunch break, then added beads to random pieces that night. The beads added a bit of sparkle, and some sound. Because it is cold in Utah, we had to use a long sleeve onesie that still fit, but I don't think it ruined the effect of the costume. I thought she looked pretty cute.
We went trick-or-treating at my work the Friday before Halloween. It took Becca a few offices, but she quickly learned that the big bowls on the desks or chairs held candy. She'd typically push me into the office first, then she'd venture in and get a piece. She rarely looked at anyone or said anything, but I don't think anyone minded because she's so young. It was kind of funny though, and very reminiscent of me when I was little.
After our ward "trunk-or-treat" (where it rained hard the entire time . . . we didn't stay long), we headed up to my cousin's house to see costumes and to visit for a minute. We were their only trick-or-treater. I snapped the picture below on their front lawn. It turned out really cute!
This last picture was taken by a co-worker during the office trick-or-treat. No, my co-worker didn't miss the shot of Becca looking . . . Becca refused to look. She does this with anyone she doesn't know. She becomes very interested in something else and plays it off very nonchalantly. Anyone who knew me as a little girl will recognize the tactic. No, I did not teach her, but apparently, some personality quirks are actually genetic and not learned. For those who did not know me when I was little, there are many stories told of pictures where I refused to look at the camera. My Grandma Green tells of the time when I was the only grandchild who refused to look at the camera during a huge family picture with the whole Green side. I actually remember the camera man trying everything he could think of to get me to look, and I very consciously decided I was not going to fall for it. My Grandma says that after the picture I told her, "I didn't know him, and I didn't want him to know me." I think Becca shares the same sentiment.
October was a fun month. It was also a very busy month at work because we were gearing up for year end and for the new fiscal year. Kyle was busy in school and got a job with the UVU Testing center. The schedule wasn't fantastic, but we really needed it. On-campus jobs do have perks. It was a busy month, but quite fun.


1 comment:
Super cute costume, Jillian! I'm very impressed. And the long sleeves didn't ruin it at all. My girls were fairies last year and I put long sleeved shirts on under their costumes...warmth and modesty all in one! Sounds like October was fun!
Post a Comment