Thursday, January 6, 2011

November, Part1

I'm going to do November in two parts, because the second part has a lot of pictures associated with it. November was full of the normal stuff lately: work, school (for Kyle), daycare for Becca, etc. It was spiced up with the fact that we got to hear our baby's heartbeat, I learned a new craft, and we discovered the Becca loves trains!

First, our baby's heartbeat. Yes, I'm expecting. In fact, because I'm writing this post so far past November, I even know what I'm having, but I'm saving it until I write my December post. Additionally, all of this is old news to anyone who checks Facebook regularly. I found out I was pregnant in early September. I had a few worrisome side effects, so I decided to not make the fact super public until later . . . much later. However, we did get to hear the heartbeat. The doctor told us after we listened that he could even hear the baby kick a few times. That was so fun to hear. I loved the thought that my baby was already busy stretching and playing. It was also a relief to meet the heartbeat milestone. I'm not sure why I thought I would miscarry . . . maybe because I'm a worrier. Oh, and this was a planned baby, and who really gets pregnant the month they want to? I thought it seemed a little too tidy, potentially, so I was prepping myself so I wouldn't be so disappointed if I did miscarry. Fortunately, the heartbeat was strong and things are continuing to go well.

The new craft I learned is crocheted flowers. I learned at a Relief Society function that I'm so glad I attended. I already knew how to crochet, so it was not difficult learning the flowers, but oh so fun! I made the headband as well. It's a really good idea from whoever thought of it. The headband is made in such a way that it is very adjustable: you just sew on a large button that is slightly bigger than the holes created by the double crochets. I attached a button to the flower as well so that we can change which flower is on it, as well as the location of the flower. So much potential on that headband.

Since then, I've helped someone else learn to crochet the flowers, but I haven't made anymore. I have a few other crafts that are taking a priority. Before Christmas, I was busy working on a quilt for my Dad. I had purchased the fabric and designed the quilt four Christmases ago, I think. I decided this was the year to finish. Unfortunately, I didn't finish the hand quilting, but I got everything else done. My mom said she'd try to work on the quilting and I'll work on it some more the next time I go down. We finished enough that the quilt is very usable, it just shouldn't be washed yet. Now, I have other quilts to do, but more on that later.

Another fun discovery is that Becca loves trains. It's fun to find out what she learns in daycare. Becca is watched at the home of a lady in our ward who has two boys of her own. She very kindly offered to watch Becca as a favor to us. Because there are only boys at daycare, Becca gets lots of exposure to stereotypical boy toys. We have a few toy cars that Becca likes to play with, but we did not have a train. I was tickled to find that she made her own train out of her blocks. It took me a minute to understand what she was doing, but I so enjoyed watching her construct it and try to push it along. She carried around two blocks that were stacked on top of each other for a few days as her "train." I loved it.




Another thing Becca learned at daycare that makes me laugh (most of the time) is to die. I was helping her get in the car one day after daycare when she flopped on the seat. I thought she was being a difficult two year old, so I told her, possibly without tons of patience, to get in her car seat. She said, "Mom, I dead." I didn't think she knew the word "dead" so I asked if she wanted "Dad." "No, I dead!" After a few more attempts, I finally asked if she had said "dead." "Yes! I dead!" Oh my goodness. I'm not sure how I got her to become alive again to climb into her car seat, but I was definitely amused. Since then, she has often "died." I don't mind it unless it's in the middle of the aisle at the grocery store, then I ask her to please die in the cart if she must die at all. I'm sure it sounds a bit odd to anyone within hearing range, but oh well.

Another thing that makes me laugh is the fact that Becca can say "Harry Potter" and not "Becca." She calls herself "Ba." I'm not entirely sure why, but for all our efforts, she hasn't quite picked up on the second syllable. I'm thinking may the two syllables sound close enough to her. Regardless, she is "Ba." One day, I asked her if she wanted to watch a movie while we cleaned my room. I had put on Harry Potter a few days before because I can just listen to the movie while I do other things. Becca pointed to the Harry Potter DVD case and said "That one." I said, "You want to watch Harry Potter?" I think I was a little skeptical since she is still mostly into animated shows. She surprised me with, "Yep, watch Harry Podder." I think I even asked her to repeat what she had said. Now she calls it "Harry Poddy" but we still know what she's asking. Funny kid.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I love the block train! Very cute. Weston went through a phase where he put all his toys into a "train" like that.

Good job finishing up your dad's quilt! You really need to take pictures of these awesome projects. I love the crocheted headband. I will have to learn to make those for when Talia is older. Super cute!

I am so excited about your new baby and I'm so glad that everything is going well with the pregnancy. Don't forget to invite me to the shower! :) Gotta represent the Olson girls.

Becca

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Paul

Lilypie First Birthday tickers