We called the hospital again at 9:30 and were given the green light to come on in. We got there shortly before 10 and got the pitocin started by 10:30. Then we waited. The contractions were not too bad, so I put off the epidural, since I knew it had slowed my labor with Becca and I didn't want this labor going slowly. They gradually increased the level of pitocin until I found I needed to breathe through the contractions. At some point however, even though the dosage hadn't changed, the contractions got way easier, which wasn't really a good sign. I told the nurse, who turned up the level a bit, and then she went to lunch, telling me another nurse would be taking care of me in the mean time. Additionally, the doctor who would break my water hadn't come yet, so we were really waiting for him to get there to hopefully get things going. Within a half hour or so of the pitocin increase, the contractions got a lot harder and I found myself really thinking about the epidural. After consulting Kyle, I rang for a nurse and requested that the anesthesiologist be called. A little while later the doctor came in. When he found I had just requested the epidural, he said we should wait to break my water, since the contractions would get a lot worse and it would be better to do the epidural first. Then, because we hadn't heard anything about the anesthesiologist being paged, the doctor did it. I got the epidural and the doctor broke my water, then we waited some more. A nurse checked me about an hour after and said I was a 6. I was disappointed and prepped myself for another hour or two of labor. About 30 minutes later, the doctor came in and checked me again. We had a short conversation and then he said that I was about to have a baby. Kyle and I both stared at him in disbelief. After assuring us he was completely serious, he set about calling in the nurses and technician who would help with the delivery. This is the part that still amazes me: the doctor had me push 6-8 times and then my baby was completely delivered. It maybe took five minutes. Great news to me was that he hadn't had a bowel movement yet, so I got to hold him as soon as he was clean. I'm also grateful I had the epidural, as there was a minor complication involving a fragmented placenta and the doctor commented that if I hadn't had the epidural, I would have been in a lot of pain as he fixed the placenta issue. I was grateful.
Kyle's parents picked up Becca from Annelise's house and brought her to the hospital to meet her brother. Her first reaction was, "Awww, cuuuuute!" I loved it. While I don't think she fully comprehended what had occurred, she still liked to be close to the baby so she could look at him. We made sure to get a few pictures.
So far, Paul is even more relaxed than Becca was, which is hard to believe. I know it's still early, so I have no idea what kind of a baby he will be in the long run, but so far, he eats and sleeps and pretty much only cries when he has gas and/or is frustrated at being slightly congested and trying to eat. Several of the nurses were extremely surprised by his lack of reaction to the various tests they had to do. He didn't cry when he was circumcised, or when they pricked him for a blood glucose test (like Becca, he would not be woken for a 6 hour stretch of time so he could eat . . . he too passed the test). In fact, if he hadn't be gassy and congested, I think he would have possibly earned a reputation for the chillest baby this weekend. He is a very sleepy baby. He spent 95% of the time in the hospital with his eyes closed. He opened them more once we got home. I'm sure he'll start being more alert in the upcoming days.
It's nice to be home now. My mom is on her way to help me adjust this first week home, then I have five more weeks to get on some sort of a schedule before I have to go back to work. I'm not going to think about work right now though, because even the slightest thought made my heart cringe. I'm going to enjoy my time with my babies. Motherhood is fantastic.


5 comments:
Congratulations Jill! He is adorable and looks like Becca is doing great with him. Makes me even more excited for our little one to come!
Yay!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so glad the labor/delivery went well and that you are both home and healthy. :) Have fun with your mom and your sweet little guy!
He's darling! I'm so glad to hear you're doing well, and I love that you're so happy. Motherhood really is an amazing thing, huh? Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Yay!! He's adorable. And Becca sounds like she's being adorable with him. :) I wish we were there so much! Thanks for updating the blog. :)
Congrats!!! He's a cutie! Glad that the delivery went so well too. Definitely just enjoy this time home with your newborn and your toddler. And your mom! :)
Post a Comment